Santoku knife – originally called Santoku bocho knife, meaning ‘three uses’ – is great for precise cutting, dicing and mincing. This knife is an all-rounder and can do almost everything a typical Chef’s knife can. One of the most popular types of kitchen knives in their native Japan, Santoku knives have long, slightly tapered blades with a drop point to allow for more precise, intricate cutting work.
Because of their precision edge, they’re especially useful for julienning thin slices of vegetables and meats. The wide blade of the Santoku also makes it useful for scooping food off the cutting board and moving it to a sauté pan or other dish.
Santoku Knife vs Chef’s Knife
Santoku knife and Chef’s knife are the ‘go-to’ knives for many professional chefs as they are versatile enough to perform a range of tasks in the kitchen. Technically Santoku is a type of Chef’s knife but it varies in shape and style to the traditional French and German style knives.
Which knife should you use? Our answer is both. While the knife you should use will depend on the type of cut you need to make and the ingredients that you’re working with, it’s important to have all the tools in your kitchen to be successful. Because a Santoku can be used to cut very thin slices, this makes it ideal for slicing vegetables and meats when a recipe calls for them to be cut finely.
Features of the Santoku Knife Gentle Cut:
- Kitchen knives Gentle Cut by Blade Brothers Knives are made of 1.4116 Krupp Stainless Steel (X50CrMoV15), a high-quality stainless steel produced in Germany at Thyssen Krupp plants. This steel is used for the manufacture of medical equipment, equipment for the pharmaceutical industry, and in the food industry. So, chromium-molybdenum-vanadium alloy (X50CrMoV15) is perfectly suited for making premium kitchen knives.
- Full tang construction, which offers a well-balanced ratio of edge retention.
- Hardened to about 57 HRC, it allows easy sharpening and ensures long-term perfect function for the knives.
- Ergonomic grip design provides perfect handling. Knife is extremely comfortable to hold.
- The handle scales made of micarta are durably combined with decorative handle pins. Micarta has pleasant tactile properties and it’s easy to care for. We offer you to choose a color of the handle – burgundy, light green, blue.
- Handmade knives. Each of our knives passes through the hands of several craftsmen, preventing the possibility of defects. We pay particular attention to the processing of the micarta itself, so we are proud not only of the ergonomic handle, but also of the very nice look of the pattern and chosen colors – burgundy, navy blue and light green.
Specifications of the Santoku Knife Gentle Cut by Blade Brothers Knives:
kind: Full tang
type: kitchen knife
overall length: 12.32″ // 313 mm
blade length: 7.09″ // 180 mm
max blade width: 1.97″ // 50 mm
handle length: 5.04″ // 128 mm
blade material: stainless steel 1.4116 (X50CrMoV15)
weight: 0.48 lb. ±0.02 lb. // 218 g ± 10 g
hardness: 57 HRC
blade thickness: 0.08”±0.012” // 2.5 mm ±0.3 mm
handle material: micarta (choose the color when ordering – burgundy, light green, blue)
handle fastener: decorative handle pins